PREVENTION IS THE BEST CURE TO AVOID ORAL DISEASES
Suffering facial, mouth or throat pain, having sores … are conditions that can negatively influence our rhythm and quality of life. Adopting healthy lifestyle habits will help us prevent oral diseases.
- Maintaining proper daily hygiene is the first step to a healthy mouth. To do this, you must perform a good brushing technique, floss correctly and make proper use of mouthwashes. Brushing your teeth should be a daily routine, as it removes traces of food and bacteria and leaves us with fresh breath.
- It is advisable to visit the dentist regularly for oral cleaning, so an examination is recommended at least once a year. With this, future dental problems can be avoided or minimized.
- Having a healthy and balanced diet, avoiding sweets, carbonated and/or sugary drinks is another aspect that contributes to good oral quality.
- Avoiding tobacco not only avoids diseases as serious as cancer but also helps to enjoy better oral health.
MINIMALLY INVASIVE DENTISTRY (OMI)
Dental caries is an infectious disease that requires individual susceptibility and the presence of cariogenic bacterial plaque that is maintained thanks to a diet rich in sugar. If all three factors are present, the bacteria ferment the sugars, producing acid that lowers the normally neutral pH of the oral environment. The acid attacks the enamel of the tooth, causing demineralization and, eventually, cavities.
At Clínica Curull we are committed to the OMI program (Minimally Invasive Dentistry) as the best medical method for the treatment of cavities.
Its principles are very simple:
- Identify and evaluate in advance any possible risk factors for caries.
- Prevent cavities by eliminating or minimizing these risk factors.
- Restore demineralized enamel and protect it from further damage.
- Offer patient review periods depending on the susceptibility to cavities.
FOR A GOOD ORAL HEALTH
It should start in childhood, so it should start at an early age, establishing healthy routines and habits that protect the little ones now and in the future.
A preventive visit to the dentist protects your health and saves money because, by preventing dental problems, the cost of treatment is reduced.
In our preventive visits we offer you:
- Oral hygiene instructions.
- Periodontal prophylaxis.
- Radiological examination to detect caries.
- Review of old cavities and root canals.
- The advice in case of detecting a problem.
Each time we know more and more about the relationship between oral health and the rest of the human body. The inflammatory process, especially the periodontal, that is, the infection and inflammation of the gums, causes changes in the body that can unbalance the defence systems.
This situation occurs especially in delicate patients such as diabetics, since the glucose level can be unbalanced, or patients with cardiovascular problems. Women during pregnancy and menopause, as well as athletes, should also take care of their oral health if they want to prevent injuries.
It is recommended to use it as a mouthwash, especially in children, because it protects against cavities since it strengthens tooth enamel against the aggression of cariogenic bacteria. Fortunately, the incidence of cavities has dropped a lot in our country thanks to the fact that in many areas of Spain the running water is fluoridated and now all toothpaste contain fluoride.
In most cases, if the brushing technique is correct, we can achieve good oral hygiene with a conventional brush. We recommend the electric toothbrush because its head and its rotary movements make it easier to reach all dental surfaces. Many have a timer so you can control brushing time and warn you if you apply too much pressure. It is very useful for people who have difficulty controlling hand brush movements or those who lack time and patience.
Teeth cannot be cleaned properly with just the brush. The lateral faces of the teeth require some type of specific instrument that can access them. When the teeth are together, the most indicated is the floss.
Silk thread is a very useful instrument, but it requires skill, time and patience, so its use is less widespread than it would be necessary.
There are people who have spaces between their teeth, due to displacement of the teeth or loss of gums. In these cases, an interdental toothbrush is more useful to access the inside of the teeth than floss.
These types of brushes are easy to handle and allow to complete the hygiene that is achieved with the conventional brush.
If there is no underlying pathology, we should go to the dentist for professional hygiene at least once a year. Depending on the level of risk and hygiene, it is recommended two to three times a year. Each person is marked with the most appropriate periodicity for their particular case. Professional hygiene should be complemented by good daily hygiene.
Our patients Say